Monday, March 17, 2008

Mid-night adventures

Well, I've made it to my new hostel, which is much nicer than the last, and it's really cool. I did my long workout today, which I had to pay an outrageous price for (the gym is swanky and expensive), and tried to swim, but the pool is salt-water! I couldn't stand it for long - it was burning my nose! I'll have to do the swims this weekend.

So, last night at about 3:00 a.m., I woke up coughing with a burning, dry throat. I drank some water and ate a tic-tac, but it was getting worse. I was really groggy, but I noticed that two other girls in the room were coughing as well. My eyes were starting to water, and I felt like I was breathing fire. The other girls ran out to the bathroom, and I followed them - they were experiencing the same sensation! As we wandered back, we saw one other guy go stumbling out as well. We headed downstairs to the 7-11 and got a juice. The we stood on the sidewalk with a few guys that were still up, speculating about what could be going on. We knew they had cleaned the room that day - did they spray chemicals? If so, how come it didn't bother us until 3:00 a.m.? One of their friends came into the conversation and said, "Aha - yep, pepper spray - that happened to me once." We were skeptical. "Yeah, yeah, whatever..." we laughed. Why on earth would there be pepper spray in our room? Soon, another of their friends stopped by, and we told him the story as well, and he said "Aha! Pepper spray - that sucks." We were hysterical at that point. The guys were sure that someone had sprayed pepper spray in our room, which seemed ludicrous, but honestly, we couldn't think of a better explanation. Anyway, we hung out on the corner for a half an hour and then went back to bed. Thankfully, whatever it was had dissipated by then. Needless to say, I was happy to move on this morning!

Oh, and BTW, the answer is (...drumroll...) water spins clockwise in Australia! How about at home? I don't even know!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I don't think I know which way it goes here....never really looked, but interested to compare now. It sounds like you are having such a great time...doing what you've always wanted to do! heavenly! are you taking pictures???

Unknown said...

btw...I would LOVE to read a blog about your adventure if you decided to brave the whole driving thing! that is a hilarious experience waiting to happen!!!!
that made me think of the time you tried to teach me to drive a stick...ha ha!

Unknown said...

By the way, your swim in Mexico is (...drumroll...) in the frikin' ocean silly! Which is salt water as well. You should have stuck it out.

Unknown said...

So was it pepper spray? I really want to find out! I also want to know that you didn't die in your doggy hostel room because of some chemical or gas leak!

Megs said...

When the heck are you coming home? And....I had a similar reaction to reading your blog about the salt-water swimming pool as Ryan......the ocean is salty..;)

Unknown said...

so, just wondering if anyone has talked to aura since the incident with pepper spray....no blogs...is she alive?!